Welcome to the TAMUCC Marine Biology Program
Marine biology is an exciting area of graduate study at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. The Marine Biology Program is designed for students with an interest in one or a combination of the sub-disciplines of marine biology who wish to pursue careers in higher education, government, or private industry.
The Marine Biology degree is unique because it is an interdisciplinary degree program (IDP) combining the strengths of three universities within the Texas A&M University System including the Department of Life Sciences at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Marine Biology and Marine Sciences at Texas A&M University at Galveston, and Wildlife & Fisheries Sciences and Oceanography and Biology at Texas A&M University. Students can choose courses from any campus and form committees with any of the participating IDP faculty. The principal strengths of this marine biology program lie in the international recognition, scholarly productivity, and extramural funding of its diverse faculty, as well as the strategic location of two campuses on the Gulf of Mexico.
The Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees are designed for graduate students who wish to become knowledgeable leaders and professionals with an in-depth education and specialized skills in the field of marine biology. Students will develop a sense of creative independence that will allow them to practice in and contribute to a variety of professions and fields of scholarship. Students who earn a Ph.D. degree in the sciences are typically employed in teaching or research positions at universities, or in pure research applications at specialized institutions or governmental agencies.
As part of their progression through the Marine Biology program the students will:
- Possess a broad understanding of marine biology
- Acquire skills necessary for marine biological science studies
- Perform original and hypothesis-driven research grounded in marine biology concepts
- Develop the skills necessary to present and publish their work at national and international venues
- Develop a skill set and research record such that they can secure employment in universities, federal agencies, private companies or non-governmental organizations where they can apply the skills and knowledge acquired during the program